So I just finished reading Bill James Gold Book 2008, which is basically comprised of random and obscure baseball statistics. At one point in the book, he lists every player since 1900 with at least 40 win shares, which is something I don't understand, but that's not the point. As you may or may not be aware, old time baseball players had funny names. As I read the list, I noticed some themes: many players had hobo names (a la John Hodgeman's list of 700 hobo names) and many players had names that sound like sex moves. Here are the best:
Hobo Names
Amos Strunk
Granny Hamner
Old Hos Radbourn
Chicken Wolf
Gavy Craveth
Nig Cuppy
Dummy Hoy
Possum Whitted
Van Lingle Mungo
The Fey Gentlemen
Jim Bottomley
Ron Fairly
Von Joshua
Swashbucklers
Long Tom Hughes
Puddin' Head Jones
Sad Sam Jones
Sex Moves
(Note: It helps to read these like this: "Didja give 'er the ol' Player Name?)
Dick Groat
Happy Felsch
Dutch Ruether
Dizzy Trout
Heinie Manush
Burleigh Grimes
Urban Shocker
One may also be pleased to know that some of the names are interchangable. Try it out! Have you ever been Van Lingle Mungo'ed?
3 comments:
Hot damn bravender you made me laugh out loud, good find!
my favs are:
Von Joshua and Puddin' Head Jones
I had to hold back my audible laughter as I am reading this in work. I cannot believe these names actually existed! My favs:
Chicken Wolf
Nig Cuppy (WTF?)
Possum Whitted
Dick Groat
URBAN SHOCKER
Hilarious!
Nothing beats givin' 'em the old Dizzy Trout...
Post a Comment