I can't imagine liking more albums than I did this year, it was easily the most enjoyable and productive (whatever that means) year as a music fan I've ever had. I listened to just over 100 albums from 2008, which means I found 100 albums to be interested in. A few were duds, but there was a lot to love. I found myself embracing new trends of fuzzed out JAMC-style 80s pop that seem to be so popular right now without worrying about trend-hopping. It seems like a perfect mix for me: elements of punk, lo-fi, VU druggie stuff assualting structures of pop songs that would've been great even if they were left alone. The ambiguity makes for a much more fascinating listen. And it's indefensible; if you think it's boring, I have nothing to say. You'd be right, it's total drone that doesn't really go anywhere. But I love it and it makes sense to me. One man's trash, blah blah blah...
I really didn't hate anything this year. If I knew it was something I wouldn't like, I avoided it. Absolutely everything was overrated, I think that's just the way things are going to be from now on if something is worth hearing. I was let down on a selfish, personal level by two albums, being...
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Somewhere in the middle of 2008, I realized that R.E.M. is my favorite band (another one of those "don't ask me to explain" things). There was some buzz that this was going to be "rockin'" and a return to form. I allowed myself some hope, and was entirely let down. It just sounds like another post-millenial R.E.M. album that I can pick up in the dollar bin in a few years. The single was alright though.
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
I realize they were trying to move forward and everything, but jeez...I mean, on the whole, it's not that much of a departure, but the title track and "Highly Suspicious" were offensively bad. I don't know if it's Advanced or what, but I can't even begin to understand what they were thinking. "H.S." (which is by far the worst track of the year) is such a hideous stain that I can't listen to the rest of the album without feeling haunted by it's awfulness. Trying new things is great and everything, but when it doesn't work out, and especially when it doesn't fit in with your album, save it for the b-sides.
Also, notes on two other albums that should be somewhere on the Top 40 list...
Nodzzz - S/T
I just heard this for the first time about a week ago and it is frequently perfect. It could have been literally anywhere on my list. However, I don't have any perspective or experience with it, and have yet to come down from the honeymoon. But it is shockingly awesome.
Fleet Foxes - S/T & EP
I've only recently got over hating this. I thought they were a My Morning Jacket cover band, faux-authentic, overhyped, etc. I guess they are all of those things still, except now I like it.
I planned on doing a Top 40 list, but when I tried to to explain some of the lower-ranked albums to a friend, I realized I didn't really care about some of them. But because it's already written, I'll post it anyways. Just don't ask me anything about Cut Copy because I haven't listened to that album since, like April.
40. The Clientele - That Night, A Forest Grew EP
I love their sound. They're like a Sea And Cake thing where all of their stuff is good and consistent, but to a lesser extent.
39. Silver Jews - Lookout, Mountain, Lookout Sea
2nd half.
38. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
I said don't ask!
37. Department Of Eagles - In Ear Park
I used to think this was great, but it really wore thin for me. "No One Does It Like You" is a jam.
36. High Places - High Places
Wins award for Most Original, almost sounds like World music. Almost.
35. Air France - No Way Down EP
Avalanches-y type electronic ambience. Sort of like a dream; No, better.
34. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
2 great songs, 2 terrible songs, everything else is somewhere from good to forgettable. It's official, take that Q!
33. My Teenage Stride - Lesser Demons EP
Read about them in MRR, great update on Buzzcocks-style pop-punk.
32. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
No comment.
31. Animal Collective - Water Curses EP
My favorite AC besides "Fireworks." Way to come down off the drugs, guys.
30. Glorytellers - Glorytellers
Acoustic Karate. Hmmm, that sounds interesting on a few levels...
29. Abe Vigoda - Skeleton
Spazzy clean neon yelp punk. Seems like it should be better. I think they have it in 'em.
28. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
You know how I know I'm gay? Great singles!
27. Tyvek - Future Junk 7"
Just looking for a way to fit them in. This is three of their weaker songs, but the band is just so awesome.
26. The Ergs! - Hindsight Is 20/20, My Friend
Singles collection of the best pop-punk band going. The genuine-ness of the "Hey Jealousy" cover led me to my newfound love of New Miserable Experience. That seems weird.
25. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
Apparently, Isaac Brock is a killer producer because he seems to have made the difference for these guys. These songs are pretty good, but it is no ATTQM.
24. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
More specific than Boys And Girls In America, and probably the right step to take after the best album they could possibly make. I love "Joke About Jamaica."
23. Title Fight - Kingston 7"
I loved this like crazy for the first half of the year. Reminds me of jogging. They will be the ones to inherit the throne of All American Rejects.
22. The Radio Dept. - Freddie And The Trojan Horse EP
I bet they like New Order!
21. The Anniversary - Devil On Our Side (Rareties And B-Sides)
The anticipation! I looked forward to this maybe more than anything. I had heard a lot of the older songs, but was really surprised by the new ones. Why don't I listen to this more?
20 to 1 in a few.
6 comments:
HA! Death Cab AND Coldplay above Vampire Weekend? You truly are gay.
This section of your list was really interesting, as a lot of it I had never heard you talk about.
Your analysis of the MMJ album is flawless.
BLAH BLAH BLAH this was great! Can't wait to read more.
I was entertained.
Hey, I like Coldplay too! "She wiiiillllll be loved / She wiiilllll be lo-oved"
I still la la love Title Fight, listen to it about once a week, at least. I hope to see The Steinways, Polar Bear Club and RISKAY in the final portion.
I'm so gladd that you still read MRR and like the ergs! Please move to the east coast soon.
that being said, CUT COPY!? Fleet foxes!??! You're better than that and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And while it's a bit of a letdown overall, I'll sometimes go to bat for the new MMJ.
Just curious, which two Vampire Weekend songs did you dislike? I loved that whole album, the more you listen the better it gets and the ones that weren't quite hits at first grew on me.
I actually agree with Quillen, lower than Death Cab? Hmm...
"Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" and "Blake's Got A New Face." I think CCKK sounds like a TV jingle repeated for 3 minutes. It's like listening to "BY MENNEN" over and over and over. And I hate the Afro-world music aspects of it (he sings the chorus in almost a reggae lilt). "Blake's..." just annoys me.
That said, I think "M79" is fantastic and I really like "A Punk" for how fun and direct it is. I generally couldn't even tell you what is on the second half of the album and I've listened to it enough (10-12x) that I should be able to. Their song on the Nick And Norah soundtrack seems like a step in the right direction.
Way to jump in on the convo!
Post a Comment