I really enjoy making a list of my favorite albums every year, but it seems that with each passing year, seeing every publication's list becomes increasingly dreadful. Everything starts to blend together, and nothing really means anything. After the first list or two, they tend to seem like just lists of things that existed this year. Unfortunately, I guess I'm contributing to that, but it's fun for me to talk about albums. So, apologies.
Here's 40:
40. Craft Spells - Idle Labor
Overlooked. Check out "Ramona."
39. Melted Toys - Washed & Dried EP
Just what it sounds like.
38. Spraynard - Funtitled
Brief, to-the-point, fun punk. Go download it and pay them $5000.
37. Wilco - The Whole Love
Higher highs than they've had since A Ghost Is Born. They're probably never gonna be one of my favorite bands, but I'm glad they're around.
36. Washed Out - Within & Without
This is the lamest and beardiest album on this list. But, you know, it's nice. Drop the chillwave tag, and it's a pleasant soft rock album. Too bad his Rough Trade Mix was better than this album.
35. Small Brown Bike - Fell & Found
Honor your elders.
34. Fucked Up - David Comes To Life
Better than its ranking; I was actually floored by the album the first time I listened to it this summer. Then I listened to it one more time and haven't heard it since. Where is an album like this supposed to exist in my life?
33. Meat Puppets - Lollipop
Good times adult weirdo rock. Respite from the over-marketed stuff that the indie-corporate labels are constantly waving in everyone's face.
32. The Sea & Cake - The Moonlight Butterfly
This is an EP by The Sea & Cake.
31. Crystal Stilts - In Love With Oblivion
Man, I just never listen to this. It's not often that I say to myself, "I need to hear some psychedelic garage rock about the sun and the moon." It really is good, I just need to put it on without considering what it is.
30. Maritime - Human Hearts
Return to form! Too bad I'm not 24 anymore, this might've been #1. It's probably better than We, The Vehicles.
29. The Bats - Free All The Monsters
Not especially thrilling, but if they have something to say, I'm listening.
28. Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies
Why did this have to open with a 6 minute song? I didn't realize until right now that almost all the other songs are under 3 minutes. Gah, I have to go back to this.
27. Fucked Up - David's Town
I love and envy their album-of-songs-by-fake-bands idea. It was risky; most bands couldn't pull this off without getting too silly. But here, there are some beautiful moments.
26. Junior Boys - It's All True
Once again, it's taking me some time to catch up to Junior Boys. On first listen, I thought there was only one worthwhile song here. Now, there's maybe only one that's not a gem. I'm gonna keep on liking this.
25. Big Troubles - Romantic Comedy
This would've been an amazing 5 song EP. The second half is filler. It's a drag that they cleaned up and tried to make a Pains-style Slumberland album...I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. (That's supposed to make them feel worse).
24. Yuck - Yuck
Terrific concept, questionable execution. A promising first album. If their handlers had any sense, they'd be fumbling over themselves screaming "Get me Butch Vig on line 1!"
23. Lemuria - Pebble
Open stronger and leave out "Pleaser," and this coulda been great. Sheena is still one of the best guitar players going. Curious to see what they do next.
22. Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing
BT on cruise control. Totally acceptable.
21. Crisis Of Conformity - Fist Fight! 7"
I liked so much jokey stuff this year...I'm probably gonna end up trading in all my records for Weird Al imports.
20. Nodzzz - Innings
So, so nerdy.
19. Beach Fossils - What A Pleasure EP
Captured Tracks had countless releases this year that sounded great (that Wild Nothing-style sad 80s synth thing). I should've been thrilled, instead I kinda feel like it devalues stuff like this. Now when the label puts something out, I silently say, "I know what that sounds like, and I don't need to hear it again." It's a shame, because this EP is actually very good.
18. J Mascis - Several Shades Of Why
Initially underwhelming, then totally pleasing. J Mascis owns.
17. Empty Orchestra - One More Time, All Together Now
Remember when musicians meant what they said and allowed themselves to be vulnerable? I mean, other than Adele? Me neither, it was a really long time ago. A unique and timeless set of songs.
16. The Fucking Cops - Fuck You Up With Some Truth EP
Punk rock a la Spraynard, Cheap Girls.
15. Jens Lekman - An Argument With Myself
Delightful.
14. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
For me, this is the most interesting record on this list. Since her debut, I've openly derided her and been completely dismissive of her music. Why would I want to listen to a Sufjan disciple who looks like a model and makes Apple-rock? What could she possibly have to say that would be interesting to me? Strange Mercy changed all that. It's dark and gnarly, like Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel during their synthy, experimental phases in the 80s. And the playing on it is incredible. "Surgeon," especially; there are an album's worth of highlights in that song alone (not to mention "I spent the summer on my back" is one of the best opening lines I can think of). What can I say? She made an album that sounds like no other album that I loved in 2011. Moral of the story: don't judge a book by it's waifishness.
13. Cheap Girls/Lemuria - Split 7"
2 monster jams.
12. Toro Y Moi - Underneath The Pine
Most impressive musician of the year. This guy hears and arranges things in a way that could make Jimmy Iovine tremble with fear. From the way he shifts the listener's focus to the way he orchestrates dynamics, it's clear that this isn't some jerk fumbling around in the dark with a sampler. He knows what he's doing, and he is the real deal.
11. Destroyer - Kaputt
On paper, this sounds like a gimmick that's sure to fail, but Dan Bejar's always-esoteric poetry and gravely serious vocals anchor the breezy yacht rock in a surprisingly effective way. It's a stark contrast that creates a very specific and totally unsettling world of an International Man Of Distinction. The first half is easy, all singles and catchy leads; the second half is where the album's earns its depth. Just reading "Bay of Pigs" can have serious emotional impact ("Listen I've been drinking/as our house lies in ruin...Haven't seen you for ages/I still fly into rages at the mention of your name...I took a walk and threw up in an English Garden"). It's great to have a Destroyer album like this. He'll probably never make another one like it.
10. Rival Schools - Pedals
10 years is a long time to go between albums, but you wouldn't know it listening to Pedals. It's spruced up a bit, smoother around the edges, but that same sound from United By Fate is there. Rival Schools sound like Rival Schools. Walter is the man.
9. Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
This is my favorite Radiohead album! I'm not sure why people didn't like this. Did they not expect a Radiohead album to sound like the future? With weird production and dubstep influences? I mean, this is Radiohead. If it's too weird, it's your fault.
8. Samiam - Trips
I guess I remember these guys, but I was never really a fan or anything. I'm pretty sure their name has always made me cringe (even in high school, when I was listening to King For A Day and Jimmy Eat World without blinking an eye). But I'm pretty sure their sound has always had a maturity that would've been hard for High School Me to identify with. Part grizzled wistfulness, part loud-drinking anthemic punk, Trips is man-rock. There are lighter moments like the opener "80 West" and "Freetime," and there are moodier songs like "Magellan" and personal favorite, "Demon," a upbeat song with emo chords about being haunted by an ex-lover. Put down that goddam Bon Iver record and be a man!
7. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
One of the best kind of surprises I can have as a music fan is when a band that I think is dead in the water comes back to life. Who would've thought this band would even be interested in making a simple folk rock album, considering the past two monstrosities they've wrought? I probably wouldn't have even given this a chance if I hadn't heard it blindly. But it was hard for me not to fall for this. Also, Rolling Stone told me it was good.
6. Vivian Girls - Share The Joy
This year's obligatory Vivian Girls entry. I like that they're trying new things, even if it doesn't always turn out right. Even I can tell that it has some glaring flaws, but they're always gonna be my band.
5. Real Estate - Days
This album is so close to everything I love about music that sometimes when I listen to it, I feel like it's mocking me. Real Estate has shown enormous growth from their 2009 debut, improving in just about every way. The most obvious difference between Days and Real Estate is the warm, autumnal production. The secret weapon here is the drums. The muffled tone borders on drum machine-quality (in the way that the best Phoenix songs do), and the de-emphasis on the cymbals allows for the chimey-ness of the guitars to shine through. But more importantly, Martin Courtney's singing and songwriting has grown in leaps and bounds. Plenty of "indie" albums sound good, especially in 2011, but very few artists have the skill to craft such amazing songs. As a frontman, Courtney is especially impressive on Days. He never oversings, never tries to squeeze in too many words; he says as little as it takes to get his point across. A song like "Green Aisles" proves that he's found his voice. It's the second perfect Real Estate song - they've always sounded like the things he sings about here, but now Courtney has finally written lyrics to fit that feel. Of course, this album would not be possible without the existence of...
4. The Feelies - Here Before
Sadly, this is a case of missed connections. Had this album come out two years ago when I was living and breathing The Feelies, it would've been over for me. Like, sell-my-albums-join-a-monastery over. But this year, I hit a new phase as a listener where I'm generally preferring heavy-handed hooks and catchy pop over the calculated simplicity and charming boredom of the VU-inspired bands that I had previously loved so much. The best moments for me as a Feelies fan feel like the musical equivalent of Magic Eye posters: just sit and zone out to these very simple two chord songs, and sometimes everything clicks and the music explodes into something much bigger than what it appears to be on the surface. Here Before is as good as any album The Feelies have made. I just need to remind myself to get bored sometimes and embrace this.
3. Minks - By The Hedge
A full year old (I first listened to this putting up Christmas lights in 2010), By The Hedge hit me in two separate periods, both during cold, gray months. This album does not sound the same in the summer. It is made for the bleakest weather and loneliest times. It's not especially devastating or sad, in fact it's probably more pretty than sad. It's just so heavy on mood and atmosphere that hearing it in the wrong setting changes everything. Its most obvious ancestor is Isn't Anything, and at times (especially "Boys Run Wild"), it seems like the gothiest thing since Pornography. Even brighter moments like "Cemetery Rain" that sound like, well, cemetery rain. This is certainly a personal classic that hold up for years alongside the aforementioned universal classics.
2. Title Fight - Shed
Sometimes I feel pretty awkward listening to a lot of the punk albums I listen to, especially when I'm going to work to tell teenagers what to do all day. Title Fight relieved some of the guilt with Shed. It still has that raw, youthful spirit, but there's a confidence and maturity to it that most emo/punk albums lack. I admit I had lost a bit of faith in Title Fight after The Last Thing You Forget. It was a huge departure from Kingston, and it was just a weird variation of classic emo sound that they supposedly were going for. But Shed is Title Fight at the top of their game. Excellent chord progressions and melodies, and top notch musicianship. It sounds like no one else (except, of course, the first two Lifetime albums). Their live show was one of the best performances I've ever seen, playing for close to an hour, going full bore and never missing a note. I can't believe they're not Fall Out Boy-popular yet. That day could still certainly come, and when it does, as long as they're still making albums like this, I'll be right there in line at the Hot Topic with your nieces waiting for the jams.
1. R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now
What does it mean to have a favorite band when you're almost 30? How much more important does that band seem than your favorite band at 20? My relationship with R.E.M. almost feels like my marriage lately: it's reliable and extremely comforting, yet still surprising. My Death Cab years were a kid and a band, both still young and evolving, stretching out, learning new things, eventually growing apart. With my musical tastes changing less and less with each passing year, and R.E.M. retiring in September, I wonder if I'll ever have another favorite band.
Collapse Into Now is not the best R.E.M. album. It is, however, the first time they've sounded like R.E.M. since Bill Berry left. In fact, the album it reminds me of most is New Adventures In Hi-Fi, specifically because it seems like it should've been the album to follow it. In addition to the Automatic-style ballads and Monster-glam guitar moments, it features the hallmarks that have made R.E.M. iconic: Peter Buck's ringing arpeggios, and some of Mike Mills' best vocal work (which is why their breakup was so painful to hear: it's clear that they could've continued to make better-than-average R.E.M. albums). Those reminders turned out to be more important than anything any other band could create right now. And I'm surprised to realize that for the first time, I truly know what "The singer, not the song" means, instead of just believing it.
Whenever I try to explain my feelings about Collapse, I find myself in a difficult position. I realize it's not a "great" album, so I find myself saying things like "it's not a 'great' album." But the thing is, to me, it IS a great album. I genuinely love the songs, and get excited whenever I hear "All The Best," and "That Someone Is You," and am honestly moved by the beauty of the melodies in songs like "Me, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando And I" and "Uberlin." Yet, I recognize the corniness of the "Marlon Brando" title, and I hate that recognition. I'm too old to pretend that happiness is not the most important part of being a music fan.
And so this is my favorite album of 2011. It's also the greatest.
1 comment:
I love what you have to say about The King of Limbs. It is not my favorite Radiohead album, but I agree with you in every other way. If you were shocked by this latest sound they're doing, you don't know Radiohead like you think you do.
I also love all the man-stuff you said in regards to the Samiam record, and then the following album ends up being by The Decemberists. TOO FUNNY.
Agreed, Bejar will never make another album like Kaputt, nor will he ever make one as good, I fear.
Definitely go back and spend more time with the Algernon album. It is absolutely great.
Lastly, you defended your ranking of the R.E.M. record very well.
Overall, excellent list, per usual. I always think I know exactly what's going to be on yours every year, and am always surprised by at least half of it.
Post a Comment