Thursday, December 31, 2009
Aughts Songs: #4 The Clientele - "Since K Got Over Me" from Strange Geometry ('05)
Sometimes it takes an outside perspective for me to fully appreciate something. Like all the subtleties and hidden rhythm tricks that Quillen's pointed out to me over the years. With "Since K Got Over Me," it took sharing the song with Alec and Tom and seeing their reverence and awe for it that made me take a step back and reconsider how seriously great this song is. I mean, I've always loved the song and have always felt a strong connection to the resigned sort of melancholy that Alasdair MacLean is expressing. The last chorus, especially the line "I don't think I'll be happy anymore/I guess I've closed that door" has always killed me. But with all of the songs one hears every year, it's easy to neglect offering your full attention to worthy songs. For me, seeing or hearing a friend's passion can be the ultimate selling point. Maybe it's an illusion, but it's one I don't have a problem buying into.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
this is one of those songs where, though the lyrical specifics might no apply, i feel it all as though it were my grief and resignation...powerful powers!
Post a Comment