Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Aughts Songs: #7 Radiohead - "Optimistic" from Kid A ('00)



I didn't fully appreciate this song until I learned to play it on guitar a few years ago. Outside of The Dismemberment Plan, I've never known such a melodically disjointed song to be so coherent. The key shift that happens between halves of the progression (the first 3 chords vs. the second 3 chords) is something that I don't think I'll ever understand. Throw in all the crazy little leads (especially the one that comes in after the chorus at 1:30 - the rhythm and the texture make it one of the most eerily beautiful of the 00s), and end with a drum part whose sound calls back to the title track and you have a hell of a song. Apologies for the nerdy theory-speak...uh, I also love how wide open the lyrics in the chorus are.

No comments: