Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Aughts Songs: #6 Jens Lekman - "A Sweet Summer's Night On Hammer Hill" from Oh You're So Silent, Jens ('05)



Sometimes music is capable of evoking thoughts or memories that you forgot you ever had. I don't how real this is, but I have these memories of when I was really young, like around 5, and my parents took me to a party at one of their friend's apartment complex. It was a great night and lots of fun, and this became the quintessential block party experience for me. So when Jens sings about a "sweet summer's night," these really vivid images come to mind of a hot August night in Flint in 1988, with the sun going down and my parents and their friends cooking on a grill and grabbing beers out of a kiddie pool. Did this ever happen? I don't know, and I don't wanna know, because it makes me feel good to think about this. But I hadn't really considered any of this before hearing this song.

2 comments:

Extant Nap Ordeal said...

I'm so glad you did this one. I've always thought of this track as the one that was thrown in for people who weren't ready for Kid A. I guess it doesn't sound a ton like the rest of the album, but after reading your post and listening, it was like I was hearing the song for the first time. I've never played this one on guitar - I'll have to do that. I didn't realize the guitars were so interesting. It's a great chorus, and with those falsettos in the background... This is actually kind of a rave-up.

Thanks!

Extant Nap Ordeal said...

Oops. I posted this on the wrong song.